What are Technical Interviews?
Technical interviews are common amongst employers recruiting for engineering or IT roles. Essentially, it’s an interview to assess your technical ability, usually related to the technical knowledge required for the role and the organisation you wish to work for.
The Golden Advice
We’ve asked around our Technology team for some pro tips on how to thrive during these interviews. Combined, this team has over 90 years of experience and dozens of job interviews — so they know a couple of things about technical assessments.
Take your pen out and write this down.
1. Come up with a brute-force solution, the first thing that comes to your mind.
2. Think of a simpler version of the problem. Are you over engineering it?
3. Think with simpler examples and try noticing a pattern. Is there a way of reducing the number of iterations or the cost of a function?
4. Now try it for more complex examples and extreme cases.
5. If you’re not familiar with a certain programming language, use pseudo code to explain how you would solve a problem.
6. Share experiences you had solving similar problems.
7. Last but not least, don’t be afraid to say you don’t know something. It’s more important to demonstrate your thought process than coming up with a concrete solution.
Final Advice to Succeed at Technical Interviews
Even though it’s a technical interview, there is something else you should remember: Interested candidates are interesting candidates!
How can you show that? Make a list of questions that were left unanswered by your previous research of the company:
- About the organization (How well-financed is the company?)
- About product/services (What makes this company different from its competitors?)
- About routines (How would my day look like?)
- About opportunities (If I excel, what would I be doing next year?)
- About careers (Do I have a mentor? How does training look like?)
As a candidate, you are on the spot, but you should remember every interview is an opportunity for you to assess if the company is the right fit for you. It’s an evaluation process that goes both ways.
Now that you are ready to face any technical interview, find your dream job at Landing.Jobs. There are over 350 jobs waiting for you and a team ready to help. If you need career advice, or simply want to say hi, write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have additional advice on how to prepare for a technical interview, leave us a comment below.
Matching You with Your Future!