It’s time to pack your bags and get ready for the Landing.careers Festival! BOOM!
We’re very excited, what about you? 😉 We’ve compiled 7 useful tips, drawn from our past experiences, so you can get the most out of this festival. Remember, this is not a typical job fair, it’s about developing your career. Have a look.
1. Leave your suit at home
Not sure about the dress code? Well, it’s an informal environment, so don’t worry about bringing your best clothes — it’s most important to feel comfortable. Remember, it’s summer and you will be in sunny Lisbon. Lucky you. This is a no-pressure environment so don’t start giving away your CV or business cards just yet. Instead, be genuine and engage in conversations with tech peers and potential employers. This will help you create real relationships with that will become valuable in the long run.
2. Be up-to-date
You will have two days to network with different types of companies, with different points of views. The tech industry is much more than what you think it is and it’s always changing. Don’t miss the boat, show that you are aware of what’s out there, of the novelties and what programming languages are most common. This will show that you keep yourself updated on emerging trends, tools, and technologies.
3. Do your homework, stay open minded
Before the festival, research the companies attending the event and the programming tools they use. Why not check if they’re looking for someone with your skills, beforehand? This will make you more prepared to engage a potential employer. Open your horizons: check out all companies looking for your skills. During the festival, talk to the employers you’re most interested in, but don’t close yourself to others. You never know what you can find by keeping an open mind.
4. Questions, questions and more questions!
Attendees are in the driver’s seat at the Landing.careers Festival. You get to approach the recruiters of the companies you imagine yourself working for. Take advantage of this opportunity and don’t be afraid to ask the hard questions. Prepare yourself beforehand and write some down. Some points you should consider researching and asking:
- Product — What is the company structure and where do they want to go? This question that gives you an idea of their ambition and the direction they are taking. It’s also relevant to find out the main challenge the product is facing at the moment so you can think about how to contribute and evaluate the challenge at hand. Get information about the main projects and the team organization so you will know what the new position will involve and, if the company is a good fit for you.
- Methods & Tools & Technologies — Get information about the tools and guidelines they use to share their work, communicate and get things done. This can give you a hint if it’s a down-to-business or an open work environment and how the leadership interacts with the team.
- Company culture — It’s hard to get details about the company culture before starting to work. However, this is a very important point to pay attention to. If there is a right culture fit, you may be happy working there for the long haul.
- Career & personal development — Ask about the evolution process of the company and the learning opportunities it offers. These factors are undeniably important and have a strong influence on your motivation at work.
5. Prepare yourself to meet Rockstar Speakers
We have over 30 speakers lined up during #LandingFest. Choose the ones you don’t want to miss and use your time wisely. Don’t be afraid to ask questions at the end of each talk and remember that it’s a unique opportunity to meet speakers in person. The festival is for you to understand what’s going on in the tech industry. So, listen, engage and discuss!
6. Future, Tech & Careers
This is what the festival is all about and we want to give you all the tools and knowledge. Take advantage of everything we’re offering you at the festival. It’s not every day you get to be with tech professionals and companies, carefully curated. Be focused and put away your smartphone; it’s time to disconnect.
7. Know what you came here to get 😉
Figure out what you want to get out of the festival — what is your main goal in attending? How can all these speakers, experts, companies, tech pros help you get where you want to go? Make a list or a plan of the achievements you want to leave the festival with. Take this opportunity to develop your career.
And remember: we got your back. Landing.jobs’ stand will be there to help you. Stop by and say hello! If you have any questions just ask a member of staff. We’ll make sure to give you all the advice you need.
Register for the festival. See you on June 2nd, 3rd.